Monday, September 17, 2012

Glowinski’s Library

As a part-time book reviewer I receive more books than I can possibly read and review. Let me take this opportunity to remind authors and publishers: always contact a reviewer first and ask for permission to send your book, otherwise it won’t get reviewed. With all these books stacked on shelves, every now and then I need to clean house. Our local library can’t accept donations of books marked as ARCs, galleys, or “review copy not for sale.” Believe me it’s not always easy to find places to donate your extra books.

Years ago I was contacted by a Polish librarian, Tadeusz “Teddy” Glowinski. He lives in Olesnica, Poland. He was looking for authors who would be willing to donate a copy, or copies, of their book(s) to his library, Glowinski's Library. Perhaps some of you have been contacted by Teddy. The slight catch of course is the cost of postage to Poland. I sent him copies of my books, Rumors of War and The Road to Weird. At the time I think the postage amounted to $8. I liked the idea of having my books in his little library in Poland so I was happy to oblige.

Tadeusz “Teddy” Glowinski
The idea for his own library came to Teddy while working as a librarian at the town’s old, underfunded library. Also a book collector, Teddy wanted to donate books from his own collection to the library but they weren’t interested. However when he finally opened Glowinski’s Library, police officers showed up and confiscated the books. Find out what happened in Krzys Wasilewski’s article, The Librarian Who Loved Books.

Glowinski's Library

Through the years we’ve kept in touch. I recently sent him a large box of books, including my own Letters to Juniper and PFC Liberty Stryker. I admire Teddy’s determination and love of books. The world needs more people like him.

Would you like to spread your books around the world? Consider donating your book(s) to Teddy.

GLOWINSKIS'  LIBRARY
ul. Waly Jagiellonskie 20
56-400 Olesnica
Poland - Polska

Peggy Tibbetts

Now available at Amazon
PFC Liberty Stryker
Letters to Juniper 2012 Colorado Book Award Finalist

Become a Facebook fan


2 comments:

  1. We so take for granted being able to go to our library and find just about any book we want to read or research there. It's sad that this isn't true in some countries. What a nice thing you're doing, Peggy. I donate to a couple of local libraries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing man and what a remarkable idea! I'll seriously have to consider covering the postage to Poland so that I can say my book is "international"!

    ReplyDelete