Sunday, November 27, 2011

Recent YA/Children books come to the big screen

This Thanksgiving I was able to see not one but two movies based on popular children/YA books.

BREAKING DAWN
First off I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised.  I wasn't a big fan of the book but the producers and directors did a great job adapting the book to the screen.

What worked for me?

First, this is mostly a movie that explores Bella and Edward's relationship.  I really enjoyed the set-up to the wedding(Bella's expressions and conflict of emotions were so real), the honeymoon, and yes, even the imprinting.  I hated the whole premise of imprinting in the book but it really works in the movie.

Some are saying they think Breaking Dawn could have been done in only movie.  I disagree.  I think showing us the relationship of Bella and Edward before her change will help when the second part comes out.

Now what didn't work?

Oh, Jacob.  Poor, poor Jacob.  Why the stiff acting?  I really love Jacob in all the Twilight books but in the movie?  He wasn't very convincing until the imprinting and then wowza.  They do a great job giving the audience a 'hint' of what will be in the next movie.

Some of the dialogue during the honeymoon was almost cheesy bad.  The teens behind me must have agreed as they giggled throughout it.

 I do have one question.  What happened with the sparkly vampires?  I don't remember seeing Edward sparkle even once.  And sorry but it does it sunny in Brazil, where they honeymooned.

**Also do check out the very ending.  That image was burned into my mind.

HUGO

Where do I even begin?  My ten-year-old's verdict of the movie?  He loved it.  He was excited to see if the movie followed the book, which he did read.  He said it did.

Me?  I loved the images and the story of a young boy that feels his dead father is trying to communicate to him through an old automobot.

The movie is filled with colorful, rich images and even has a steampunk feel to it though it takes place in Paris, France around 1925.

I usually don't think it's worth the extra cost to see a movie in 3D but this one I feel is worth it.  It's an amazing  experience.  I'd highly recommend watching.




5 comments:

  1. Thanks, Kim. I've been wondering about Twilight. We seldom go to the movies so I'll wait until the DVD comes out to see it.

    I havent read the other book, but it sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HUGO is a must read book! It's kind of like a hybrid book--half text/half illustrations. Son read it in like 2 days and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Hugo. It was a beautiful film to behold. I have never read the book but am tempted to now.

    ...Mike DiCerto
    www.mikediceto.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see Hugo. The Invention of Hugo Cabret is a marvelous book, and the movie also looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was amazing! There was nothing overhyped on HUGO. Son said that it followed the story. **I guess being the son of a reviewer and YA author means he's picking up more on things.

    I loved the automobot and the whole feel of the movie. It had an old time charm to it while also amazing us with images that stay with you!

    ReplyDelete