Wednesday, October 12, 2011

From a Seriously Mixed-Up Brain

This post is just a hodgepodge of my rambling brain. That’s how I’ve been all week, jumping from one thing to another, never settling anywhere for long, like a butterfly flitting from flower to flower.

The Muse Online Writers Conference has ended. It was a week of learning, sharing, meeting new people and making friends. My workshop on Vision Boarding was fun, at least for me. We shared ideas on characters, setting, and plot. And boy, the writers had lots of great thoughts.

I planned to attend some of the other workshops, but kept too busy to do so. My organization skills need improving. One thing that’s nice about an Online conference is you can attend at your convenience. You also can be wearing your sloppiest clothes and no makeup and no one will know.

I pitched my MG story and was asked for a full. Getting it ready to send, with fingers crossed they’ll offer me a contract. A couple of my friends were asked for their manuscripts by the agents they pitched to, which makes me thrilled for them. This could be their big break.

October 20 is the National Day on Writing, started three years ago, by the National Council of Teachers of English. It sounds like a lot of fun. You can publish your writing, or tell your family, friends or students, if you are a teacher, about publishing to the National Gallery of Writing. For details check their site:
http://www.ncte.org/dayonwriting

Tonight I’m lost in the world of baseball playoffs, which has nothing to do with writing, unless a character turns out to be a baseball player in a future story. (By the time you read this, the game will be over, but there’s another one Wednesday and on and on.) The game is tied at the moment. Come to think of it, my early reader that just came out, Tumbleweed Christmas, has a girl who carries her baseball glove everywhere she goes.

Are you getting dizzy trying to follow me? Never fear, it’s almost over. One last thought to leave with you.

Halloween will soon be here. What is your favorite memory?

I remember going to a party when I was in junior high. We dressed in costumes, of course. I was Cinderella wearing a long full dress my mother made for me. Well, we went on a scavenger hunt, and it was cold and windy. That skirt kept blowing in my face or else I was tripping over it. So much for being a graceful Cinderella. By the time we were finished with the hunt, I resembled the “before” Cinderella, before the fairy godmother turned her into a beautiful princess.

My ramblings are over for now. Bye. [Do I hear shouts of joy?]

No comments:

Post a Comment