Friday, January 25, 2013

There and Back Again

Yeah, I know that's been used as a title. Indulge me. I'm not using it as a title of anything other than this blog, but I am trying to use the concept. There and back again.

I was "there" once. I was in the zone - creating, publishing, promoting, conferencing, etc. I was excited to be where I was. But something happened along the way. I can't put my finger on what exactly, but somewhere along the way I became disillusioned. Frustrated. Apathetic.

I gave up.

So, now I'm trying to get "back" into the zone "again". Life intrudes sometimes, but I know that isn't really an excuse. Life is always going to be there. There is always going to be something distracting from work, something more enticing, more necessary to be done. So, how to get my mojo back?

I don't know yet.

But I'm trying.

I pulled up my current WIP and started looking at it again. I joined some Meet Up groups to see if that would help jump start me, get me excited about the whole prospect again. I am writing here. Tiny steps, but moving forward.

Sometimes I feel that I'm not "current" with my writing. I just saw a bit on the daily shows about a local author who made good with his first book. It's being made into a movie already. Why? Well, besides good writing (I am supposing, as I haven't read it) it's current. It's about zombies. That's all the rage now. Everything is zombies. I am still back when everything was elves, vampires and magic. That appeals to me. The walking dead does not. No matter how hard I make myself try. Just not going to happen.

Or, if it did, it would have to be a comedy,with zombies trying to keep their skin on with glue, and having parties to discuss which glue compound seems to work the best with the least side effects.

So,then - do writers need to adjust and write to the current trend merely to sell? Or do they try to write what they love and let the dust fall where it may? Keeping in mind that the dust may never settle anywhere. Do I keep trotting out my stories of elves and magic and fun, in a time of walking dead and chaos and angst? Or do I sit back and wait to see what will come "back again"? That seems a sure road to oblivion.

So, for readers - are you tired of the old trends of elves and vampires and magic and romance?

For writers - do you forsake what you truly love, and write to trend?

JennaKay Francis

2 comments:

  1. Nope, but I was starting to play with Steampunk when it was just peeking out from under the covers. Now it's 'in'. So I got lucky, I guess. I started writing the Library of Athena series just before Rick Riordan hit it big -- again, weird, but lucky. I try to change up themes, though, because I get bored.

    Eventually it will come back to elves and magic again ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenna Kay, You have to keep writing what you love and know, like Christine said that they will be back in again. Most authors I've read interviews of state the very same thought. They write what they love and keep on doing it because they can't not write. Some folks are good at zombies, witches, ghosts, vampires; others are good at mysteries and still others write a variety of genres (thus multiple pen names) but whatever is your favorite, I'd say stick with it and hang in there, your mojo will come back to you and before you know it, you will have some bestsellers and elves and magic will be back again. Remember "The Hobbit" just released so that's an indication that elves are making a come back. Keep on writing and publishing and connecting with readers - there is a group who loves your books - E :)

    Elysabeth Eldering
    Author of Finally Home, a middle grade/YA mystery
    http://elysabethsstories.blogspot.com
    http://eeldering.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete