Saturday, January 19, 2013

RWA Workshops

Even though I've had two books published with another one soon to be released, I love going to writing conferences to learn more of the craft.

Back in 2002, I discovered my future writing mentor, Louella Nelson, while taking one of her novel writing classes at UCI extension.  It's because of Lou that I was able to write and complete two books.


This is the first book I wrote and finished while attending Lou's classes.















EARRINGS was followed by CROSSED OUT















This last year I decided to join RWA since Nationals were held in Anaheim. My current project has more romance and might even end up New Adult--or crossover.  So I figured it was time to branch out from SCBWI and take more workshops that deal with this.

 Plus Lou rejoined and is very active in our charter.

On Saturday I attended one of Lou's plotting workshops.

http://www.occrwa.org/workshop_Genius-Plotting.html






Here's an over view of her course:

Learn how to —
  • craft the novel’s major storyline
  • develop subplots
  • determine key elements in world-buildingselect a story goal

Breathe life into your story as you learn to craft the tension-filled
opening hook;the conflict-deepening scenes of inciting incident, pinches,
and disaster; the high-stakes decisions that thrill readers; the darkness-into-
light arcing of character in the crisis;the physical and emotional battles that
force characters to dig deep for courage; andthe critical pay-off scene that
satisfies even the most well-read reader.  You’ll learn how
to find your character’s wound and identify the crazy thinking that keeps
them from attaining their goals.  When you’ve taken away everything of
meaning and they have nowhere else to turn, you’ll know exactly how to
complete the internal arc of change.

I use Lou's writing paradigm for my own writing.  Lou will be publishing one
of her books on
plotting this summer!


I also love to listen to my favorite authors.

In March the YA author of SHATTER ME will be speaking on the YA market!





Loved her book!




















Can't wait to learn more and apply this to my own writing!



No comments:

Post a Comment