Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Never Too Old

Now for you youngsters out there, this may not mean anything. You’re young, full of energy and ideas. Wonderful. You have your whole future ahead of you. Enjoy. But someday, you’ll understand what I’m saying here. Do I hear heads nodding?


My grandkids call me “Mema.” They’re so cute when they say it. I even admit to having three great grandkids. That’s okay. I married very young.

My husband calls me “Beverly.” Mm. That’s my name.

I refer to myself as a children’s author.

Some people consider me a senior citizen. I know, because at restaurants they automatically give me a senior discount. Now, I have a problem with that.

Perhaps Robert Browning said it best in his poem:

RABBI BEN EZRA

Youth ended, I shall try

My gain or loss thereby;

Leave the fire ashes,

What survives is gold;

And I shall weigh the same,

Give life its praise or blame;

Young, all lay in dispute;

I shall know, being old.


I like to think of me as living in my golden years: “The last of life, for which the first was made,” according to Browning. When I was younger, I would not have believed him. But he was on to something. Now, I understand what he meant.

Consider me a recycled teenager worrying about a date for Saturday night, or that algebra test on Friday, or puzzled because my best friend has another bests friend.

Consider me an adventuresome ten-year-old who still believes in magic and fairy tales, and who loves horses and fishing and decorating a Christmas tree.

Consider me an inquisitive toddler watching a butterfly on a flower, a raindrop racing down the windowpane, or cuddling in my mom’s or dad’s lap while they open new worlds to me through an enchanting book.

Yes, I treasure each memory of growing older. I enjoy every hour of every day God gives me. Which reminds me: Gotta run. My skateboard awaits, along with my character who is teaching me the basics of an Ollie. What’s that, you say? I’m too old!

Never!

And that, my friends, is what writing is all about. Looking at the details of life. Letting our characters live, not only in our imaginations but in the world of our readers too.

6 comments:

  1. This is a great post. I feel the same way. I'm still a teen at heart and I can't stop writing about them. My great aunt used to say, "You look and act as old as you feel." She lived till she was 95, still driving, and living life to it's fullest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your great aunt was right, Christine. I think that's why I like to write for teens. Even though they may not realize it at the time, it's a pretty good age. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like writing from the POV of youngsters. They are so volatile in their emotions. It's easy to write, fun to go overboard with the drama, as a lot of young teens do. I often have to remind myself that I'm past those teen years. LOL I've gotten to the point of asking my daughter "is this too young for me?" regarding clothes. Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! Why remind yourself you're "past those teen years," Jenna Kay? Oh, right, we have to live in the present. Yeah, I know what you mean about the clothes. Some things are so cute, if I were 16 again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think of my Grandpa Baccellia who loved the ladies and was a hit with the nearby senior citizen's place. He lived to be 97! I once told him, I wanted to be like him when I was older. Then I see some who just sit around and refuse to walk or do anything. I refuse to be like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, Kim. Just because someone is older doesn't mean they have to vegetate. I believe staying active is part of the key to a long life, unless of course you have certain diseases. My second cousin lived to be 98 and she was an amazing woman. Fun to the very end.

    ReplyDelete