Sunday, July 10, 2011

Summer YA Shows

I thought I'd share some teen summer shows that I'm watching.  Yes, the last Harry Potter movie is coming this Friday but there's other shows too.  Here's my thoughts on some of them:


NINE LIVES OF CHLOE KING





This TV series is based on the books by Liz Braswell. Chloe is a teen that finds out after she dies that she has super powers. She also finds she can’t kiss  humans or they die. Kind of sucky especially since she’s attracted to this one cute guy. I’m really enjoying this series. Chloe is a very likeable character and I can’t wait to see what happens next.

Check out the website:
http://abcfamily.go.com/shows/nine-lives-chloe-king

TEEN WOLF




Scott McCall follows his best friend Stiles into the forest only to be bitten by some kind of animal. Later, he finds he changes into a werewolf. This MTV series is NOTHING like the 1985 show with Michael Fox. Intense emotions set off Scott’s transformation. Also he’s attracted to a cute girl, who’s dad just happens to be a werewolf slayer.

Check out the site:
 http://www.mtv.com/shows/teen_wolf/series.jhtml

My opinion? So far I’m enjoying this TV series but it’s not as exciting as my all time favorite VAMPIRE DIARIES. Still it has a lot going for it.

PRETTY LITTLE LIARS




This series is also based on the books by YA author Sara Shepard

Here’s what the website says about the show: One year ago, Alison, the Queen Bee of their group, disappeared and the girls swore they'd never tell what really happened that night. They thought their secrets would bond them together, but just the opposite is true.

Seems someone named A keeps popping up in their text messages threatening to expose their little dirty secrets.

My opinion: This is like Gossip Girls and the dead mean girl. This show has had its moments but the story lines and plot twists have me still glued to this series. I heard from some teens the books are really good too.

There's another TV show by the same author coming out in August called LYING GAME.  Yes, I plan to watch that too!

MONTE CARLO

Selena Gomez is the lead character in this fun, escapist movie where she ends up impersonating a heiress.


My thoughts?  Well, I went to see this movie and was surprised at all the tweens that filled the theater considering the themes were more YA than tween.  Selena is adorable in this movie but the plot was kind of predicatable and there was kind of a mixed message but I don't think it's meant to be taken seriously.  Over all, a fun movie.

Are there any others you can think of?

2 comments:

  1. My pre-teen son and I are hooked on Falling Skies, Sy-Fy channel Sunday nights at 10. It's a Stephen Speilberg alien show with heart and family values. We're also waiting for Sy-Fy's Eureka to start soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We also love FALLING SKIES. Missed last night's episode because I was watching the Jaycee interview. But yes, we really enjoy this Sci-fy show too.

    ReplyDelete