Friday, November 19, 2010

You Have The POWER!

Yes, you, the reader, have POWER! More power than the authors of your favorite books do.

You have the power to help make them famous, but also the power to let the book go nowhere.

“WHAT????”

No, you heard right. You have the power to make or break a book or author.

“But isn’t just buying the darn thing and reading it enough?”

Unfortunately…not anymore. Not if you want to keep seeing more books by that same author. Buying and reading the novel definitely rank supreme in things a reader can do to support an author or book. Except nowadays things have become so much harder, authors pushed to do so much more to get readers, and with less support from the publishers, that they need all the help they can get more than ever before.
This is where you come in.

“But what can I do? I like to read, sure, but I’m not a marketer.”

Honestly, it’s all pretty easy. The real trick is that the more people that do it, the more it works. And most of these take little to no time at all. (But only do whatever you feel comfortable with, if anything! Of course! You have the POWER!)

1. Tell others! Aka – Word of Mouth. (Super easy. You liked the book or the style the author uses, tell people – like family, friends, enemies, everyone. BAM!)

2. Post a quick one liner on Twitter and/or Facebook if you’ve an account there. (Extra points if you also put in the url to the author’s website or to the book at Amazon or elsewhere!) BAM!

3. A quick liner on “What are you doing/feeling today?” on My Space, Yahoo, Linked-In, other. BAM!

4. If you super loved the book, you can add it to your profile on Facebook. This actually creates a page for the book and shows other people who’ve also added it to their profile. (Probably can add it to other profiles of other online places you have as well.) Here’s one that FB auto created for In the Service of Samurai. BAM!

5. Go to Amazon and give it a star rating. You don’t have to have bought it from there, if you have an account you can rate all the books you own. BAM!

6. If you have an account at Goodreads.com or Librarything.com, add the book to your bookshelf. They give you a chance to give it a star rating too! Double BAM!

7. Have a website? Have a page of links? Add your fave authors on there! Most have a webpage with info and sample chapters, but if they don’t, they surely have a blog or LJ. (I have a large link page on my site with a ton of authors and other fun bits if you want to see what I’m talking about. www.gloriaoliver.com/links.html)

8. Some authors have banners you can use on your different web places if you want. Same thing a lot of shows and movies do. (Haven’t figured out how to do a widget yet!) If the author or book doesn’t have a banner and you’re feeling artistic, make one! Let the author know, too! They might feature you on their website or blog! (I definitely would. Though lately I’ve been on a kick and have been making my own. Check ‘em out! www.gloriaoliver.com/banners.html ) But yours might still be better. Show me! BAM!

9. Are you an artist? Make drawings based on the book. Sell yourself by putting them up at Deviant Art then let the author know! BAM! (More of your stuff the author will flaunt at their website. Seriously!)

10. Want to go the extra mile? Write a review on your blog, Amazon, Goodreads, Librarything, My Space, LiveJournal, wherever! (If you do it at your blog/LJ/MS, make sure to send a quick email to the author with a link. You might get added to their reviews page! (You definitely would on mine!)) And since you went through the trouble, remember to Tweet/Facebook/etc the fact you did a write up and give people the url so they can read your thoughts! BAM! BAM! BAM!

Remember, YOU DON’T HAVE TO DO ANY OF THIS! Totally up to you. But you won’t be exercising your POWER positively if you don't! :P Honestly though, we’re just happy you’re reading! Like I said before, that is the SUPREME item on things you can do to help authors out. And that’s why you have the power. Make it VIRAL!

If you have any suggestions on other ways to help get the word out about your favorite books or authors, please share! I’m a reader too and try to share the love however I can. :)

See you!

Gloria Oliver
Unveiling the Fantastic
www.gloriaoliver.com

P.S. Bonus BAM! Let your reader friends know how they can help by sending them a link to this post! BAM! :P

6 comments:

  1. Great advice! As a reviewer at YA Books Central, I review lots of YA books. I love getting emails back from both authors and publicists thanking me. I do the same thing when I get a Google alert on one of my books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are so many ways to promote a favorite book. Wonderful list, Gloria!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super post, Gloria. I must do more to promote my books and also other writers. Will follow your suggesstions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let me try this again, sorry. (I really should proof better before I hit "Post Comment," eh?) That's a great list you compiled, Gloria. Thanks for putting it up here!

    ReplyDelete