Thursday, February 9, 2012

Re-reading and learning

I'm a re-reader of books I've loved. Recently I have been reading and visiting old friends written by Andre Norton. I came across an essay she wrote in 1971. The essay was called "Writing Fantasy." Most of what was in the article I knew but she spoke of "Sword and Sorcery" fantasy, especially her story "Year of the Unicorn." For me this was a book that changed my ideas of writing fantasies. This is what struck me back then and still today. Andre Norton notes that while she had written books with female characters who interested her she had never written a book from the female point of view. While reading many of her earlir books I realized what she spoke was true. She also mentioned that the response to the book was mixed. What about your writing? I know here not all of us write fantasy. Some write more contemporary stories. Are your books told with the male point of view or the female point of view? For me, I've tried to find a balance. When I began the Jewels of Earda Series, the male characters were not the true main characters but neither were the females totally in control of the story, though they controlled the jewels. They were learning to work together. This kind of partnership has continued in The Henge Betrayed series.

1 comment:

  1. For some reason, while I was growing up most of my favorite books had male characters in them: Stalky & Co, Robin Hood, The Three Musketeers. The books for girls always seemed, well, too girly, if that makes any sense. Nonetheless I always wrote my stories, as a kid, from a girl's point of view. That changed when I became an adult, and the latest manuscript I'm shopping now actually has a female main character, the first in a very long time. I had a hard time writing her, too, but in the end was pretty happy with the result. Interestingly enough, my next story is about a guy...

    ReplyDelete