Monday, August 13, 2012

Summer fun...almost done

Today is my birthday. Which means two things:

a) Yay!
b) Almost time for back to school/work

I technically have three weeks left. Which is a lot of time, and at the same time, it's not. Similarly, I am torn -- I am excited to go back to work and start a new year, and sorry to be losing all this writing time. My last semester at Grad School (which is all YAY!) will start to take up time, and I have to finish my final project which will suck time, and Boy is playing football, which...you get the idea.

I had to go and look back at what I've blogged about previously this summer, because I couldn't remember. Writing two pages a day and cosplay. So what did I get done this summer?

I don't think I wrote two pages every day. I tried, but my previous way of doing 500 words each day seemed to work just fine. As of now I have written nearly 20,000 words between a new book and a short story.

Not too shabby, but it probably could have been better. I also worked on my Grad School project, my website portfolio which is required to graduate, and other household projects, so I guess it's not that bad.

I launched a book just before summer break. Did I even mention it here? I can't remember! Agh, getting old stinks.  THE SWORD OF DANU came out from Zumaya Thresholds, in case you missed it.

We went camping. It was awesome!

I went to the gym four-five days a week. Still didn't lose any weight until I got food poisoning, but at least that weight's stayed off. Learned to Zumba and took actual yoga classes instead of just doing poses with Wii fit.

Talked to my agent a few times, but nothing new to report.

There is the sense that things are shifting, from the lazy days of summer to the hectic time of fall. I'm slowly getting prepared for back to work, planning ahead so I don't make myself crazy. School supplies and clothes are purchased, lessons are semi-planned.

Editors are starting to come back from vacation and a summer of conferences, plunging into their submissions...

Hope springs eternal with fall. But once again time will become a precious commodity. Hopefully I will be able to get it all done...

Enjoy the last bits of your summer!


6 comments:

  1. Yeah, summer going out the door is sad to me, but I must admit I seem to have more control of my schedule in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I actually work better when time is less abundant. I do enjoy some lazy days though! Will be sad to see summer go, but looking forward to fall :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, Christine. I remember how short the summers seemed when I was teaching. I was always eager to go back to school, though. Now, I look forward to the cooler weather, ball games, the band, and all the holidays that go with the fall and winter seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you :) I think the thing I will miss the most is sleeping past 5:30 am!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! I always used to feel more productive in the fall as well, but something happened : ) Good luck with the new school year, though. I think writers like being surrounded by pens, pencils, and notebooks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This website is awesome. I constantly come across something new & different right here. Thank you for that data.

    ReplyDelete