Wednesday, February 27, 2013

CHICKEN SOUP CAN BE GOOD FOR YOU

Goody, goody! A royalty check arrives in the mail or is deposited in my Paypal account. Time to go shopping. Let me see. What can I buy for a buck fifty? A candy bar? A birthday card? A couple of cans of cat food? Now I don’t want to sound ungrateful. I’m thankful for every penny my books earn and I exaggerated a little. When my royalties from all my books add up it’s somewhat better. Oh, I can’t go purchase a new car, but there are ways to add to my writing income without spending a couple of years on a novel. I can write magazine articles or short stories for the Chicken Soup for the Soul series.

Chicken Soup stories are usually less than 500 words and pay $100 to $200 plus 10 copies of the book. Pretty nice income for a few words and the subject matter covers many topics. I was fortunate to have my story “Traveler” published in What I Learned from the Dog. They’ve also rejected three other stories I sent them. But you know the old saying, never give up, so I’m working on a story for a future book.


Traveler is a little stray blue healer that showed up one day and mooched off of every household around. He finally chose us, or rather our son that lives on the road behind us. Traveler still comes around for a handout, and he made a great subject for my story.

They have a call out for two subjects due in March: "Devotional Stories for Wives" and "Miraculous Messages from Heaven 101 Stories of Eternal Love, Powerful Connections, and Divine Signs from Beyond." See more at http://chickensoup.com. Select the Submit Your Story link on the left tool bar and follow the directions. It will show topics they’re interested in and how to submit.

This is a nice way to pick up extra cash. I’m crossing my fingers this time. They receive hundreds of submissions so it’s tough. But that’s a challenge, like with submitting a novel manuscript, and writers enjoy a challenge, right?

So try something different every now and then. It's fun and you might earn extra money.

Good luck.

2 comments:

  1. You and my sister-in-law! She is also very keen on submitting to the Chicken Soup books and I think she's been accepted into some jaw-dropping number like 7? Or is it 10? Maybe more? I am in awe of those of you who do this. I don't seem to be able to write like that to save my life. Or my bank account, either. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete