Monday, February 12, 2018

Originally posted: http://shannon-muir.com/guest-post-featuring-kim-baccellia/

Every Monday, MYSTERY OF CHARACTER FEATURING SHANNON MUIR focuses on the art and craft of writing, from Shannon’s perspective or that of guest authors.  To catch up on all posts, check out the MYSTERY OF CHARACTER FEATURING SHANNON MUIR portion of the website! 
This week welcomes a guest post from author Kim Baccellia.


Guest Post from the Author

BUILDING A WRITING ROUTINE
As an educator, it’s been drilled into me to have schedules and goals. Even then, I’ve personally found that I need to have a plan whenever I start a new writing project. Otherwise, nothing gets done! Here’s some things that have worked for me.
  1. Write everyday


We’ve all heard this one.  That in order to be an author, you have to be willing to write every day.



Well, I have a confession. I don’t write on the weekends. I do write during the weekdays though. One of my author friends shared something that works for her. Carry a spare notebook with you. Whenever you have a spare moment, pull that notebook out and write. It doesn’t have to be much, but it’s something. You can use a notes app on your cell phone too.
Make a small goal. Maybe write an hour. Or more. Start small and build from there.

  1. Have a writing space


My husband works from home which means it can be really hard to concentrate and write. I ended up taking over the guest room and made it into my writing office. I also write at the coffee house. I take ear bubs and listen to a Playlist I created for my book and write.
My favorite coffee house has to be Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf which just happens to have the most amazing ice tea lattes.




  1. Mapping out story

I happen to be a Plotter. I use a story map to plot out my stories. In my writing office, I have this huge whiteboard. I got this one at Costco. I have different color markers which I use for each different POV.



  1. Read

I think it’s important to read. I never understood those writers who say they don’t read. I read books that help with setting. I read for inspiration.  I also read books outside my comfort zone. Right now I’m reading lots of romances and books that deal with WWII women resistance fighters.

  1. Early or late at night
Find a time that works best for you. When I was teaching full-time, I was able to write during my lunch break at the nearby Burger King. Now that I’m at home, I find that writing midmorning to early afternoon works best for me. I also am a morning person, so I tend to write better during that time. Someone else though might find that writing after work, or when the kids are in bed, works best for them.

  1. It’s okay to say ‘no’.
This one is huge. I try to not let someone guilt trip me into thinking that my writing time isn’t important. It’s okay to say ‘no’. Really, it is.

  1. Writer’s Block




This happens to the best of us! I totally believe in getting up and walking or doing some physical activity. For me, I power walk or go to a movie. Or to watch Netflix shows. It’s okay to take a break now and then. Some of my best writing came when I did this. And sometimes, I just write to get through it.



The big thing is to find out what works for you!

Check out my other guest posts and reviews this week over on: http://blogtours.yareads.com/2018/01/02/blog-tour-sign-ups-crossed-fire-book-2-crossed-series-kim-baccellia/


2 comments:

  1. BEST ONLINE LOVE SPELL CASTER LOTTERY SPELL CASTER TO GET YOUR EX LOVER, HUSBAND, WIFE, GIRLFRIEND OR BOYFRIEND BACK. ADD HIM UP ON WHATSAPP: +2349066410185
    The occurrences in my marriage wasn’t clear, I invested emotionally and I don’t see the positive impacts. I prayed for a husband that could remind me of the good he sees in me, a husband that can make me laugh and also boost my mood.The introduction of spell to my hunt saved my marriage. Dr. gbojie looked at the happenings from a different angle before solving the puzzle. He totally handled the event like the master he is. It was emotional for me seeing us reach beyond the invisible boundaries in our marriage.My husband is in support of this story, so I’m not compromising my integrity because the spell toss on us was a goodwill spell.“Share your story to liberate a relationship” was the word said to me by Dr. Wakina after he successfully completed a unity spell that brought us back after 9 months and 4 days. He found the enduring solution to my negative marital events via his email gbojiespiritualtemple@gmail.com. or whatsapp him +2349066410185 or check out his website :http://gbojiespiritualtemple.website2.me I bless the day I read the story that lead me to Dr. gbojie.

    ReplyDelete