Thursday, June 23, 2011

Introducing A New Young Writer: Megan Curd

A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of meeting a bright young woman via YAlitchat.org forums. She has written a book as part of a YA Urban Fantasy series and needs help getting the word out. So I said I'd give her a hand and post about her new book. Without further ado, here is Megan Curd and her new book Bridger.

This is me in front of the Arc of Constantine in Rome, Italy. It was amazing to see all the history, and snowboarding was GREAT! J


 I graduated from Northwestern College in St. Paul, Minnesota, with a degree in Intercultural Studies, but before that, I grew up in Dayton, Ohio. I have had the opportunity to travel to South America and Europe and get to hang out with some great young adults. I even got to snowboard in the Alps! 

I love to write, but when I’m not doing that, I enjoy spending time with my family, snowboarding, and I’ll play an occasional video game.  Right now I reside in Eau Claire, Wisconsin with my husband, two dogs, and next month, our son! J I grew up loving to read, and the jump to writing was a natural one for me. I hope you enjoy the books I write!




BLURB:  Ashlyn McVean doesn’t believe in fairy tales. That is, until Ashlyn is thrown into the crosshairs of grudges her grandmother created long ago.

After finding out she is one of two people able to cross between faerie realms, Ashlyn is faced with trying to understand her abilities, along with navigating a new relationship with her boyfriend, Liam.

As if being on a centuries old hit list and dealing with crazed pixies isn’t enough, her new abilities mean trouble for Liam. Knowing her new life puts everyone she loves in danger, Ashlyn must decide what’s most important in her life between friends, family, love, and ultimately, realms.

If you visit Megan's website, you could win an iPod in honor of Bridger's release.

EXCERPT:

Silently, a group of young men came around the side of the house.  They eyed Memaw with what looked like caution.  Before I could call out to see what they needed, their faces took on a hungry look, all of them focused on Memaw.  It was unnerving.  Why were these men so interested in an old lady?
As the men neared her, chains appeared around their waists, ankles, and wrists that hadn’t been there a moment before.  Moving forward in seamless synchronization, they each pulled daggers from their hips and charged Memaw.  She was so engrossed in Chris’ theatrics that she hadn’t noticed the danger.
I screamed for Memaw to look out so loudly it hurt my ears.  Instead of running toward her, I hunkered down, unable to watch them murder her.  Would the men come for the rest of our family after they’d finished with Memaw?  Why was this happening?  Hadn’t we lost enough losing Dad only a few days ago?  Terror flooded through my veins, ice replacing the blood.  I was involuntarily rooted to the spot.
Although terrified to look, the thought of not knowing what was happening to Memaw was worse.  I barely opened my eyes to see the outcome of the men’s grisly attack.  My jaw dropped to the ground at the sight.
Where Memaw once sat, stood a gorgeous woman no older than twenty.  Her golden hair was wild and unkempt; her eyes were black as pitch like mine. Smiling at her assailants, she unsheathed a thin bow and pulled three arrows from her quiver, one for each man coming toward her.  In one fluid motion she released all of them at once, each one finding its mark.  The men fell.
To say I was shocked would be the understatement of the century.  The woman kneeled down and pulled her arrows from the bodies of the men while I crept toward her.  She wiped each one off quickly with the hem of her long, white skirt.  As she stood up, the rim of her skirt came into view.  It was covered in dried blood.  She had probably cleaned the arrows in the same fashion countless times before today.  I tore my eyes away from her skirt to look at her face.
The young woman was no longer there. Memaw stood hunkered in her place.  Still wearing the long, white skirt, Memaw dropped to her knees. She grabbed the man closest to her and pulled him to her chest.  She sobbed uncontrollably over his body.
After a few minutes, Memaw let the man fall to the ground, his shirt covered with her tears.
It was my dad.


 If this has whet your appetite, Bridger is available through Amazon  http://amzn.to/kcXQ1G


I hope you enjoyed meeting this exciting new young author as much as I did and we all wish you big sales on your YA Urban Fantasy series Bridger, Megan.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Megan! I was born & raised in Menomonie. I wish you the best of luck with Bridger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Menomonie is close! My husband coaches basketball, so we go there for games a few times a year. :) Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to school at the UW there. I live in Colorado now. Menomonie was a great place to grow up with the lake downtown.

    ReplyDelete