Monday, May 20, 2013

Change isn't always a Bad Thing

I think I've talked about feeling really stagnated with my writing lately. Despite trying various things, it hadn't been getting any better. The longer it went on, the more I felt trapped and frustrated. I have one last Library of Athena book to write, and it wasn't going anywhere at all, which just made me irritated.

I needed a change. And I made a few. I won't go into all of them, but since I've made these changes to my life, I feel better. It's not just been changing things or people, but changing attitude. Maybe thinking that instead of reaching for something that I might never get, to be satisfied with the way things are, to strive to make the very best of what I've already got. And to work within that to get more, maybe to expand rather than go up. 

It's working for me so far. Still not writing like fire, but I have a chapter done, and I'm feeling like actually working on it. Once summer hits, I will be working every day.

Meanwhile, I am going to Balticon next weekend.  If you are going to be there, here is my con schedule:

Steam-powered: Rage of the New Victorians Friday, 9:00 PM; Salon A
Moderator: Christine Norris (50 minutes)
Panelists: Jeff Young, Jean Marie Ward; 2 SEATS OPEN 
From werewolves of property to anti-zombie airship pilots, the Empire has struck back. Meet the 
writers of this Brave Old World and learn about their stories and novels and where they get the 
ideas for those crazy gadgets

The Portrayal of Female-Centric Faith Systems in Literature (50 minutes)
Moderator: Christine Norris  Saturday, 10:00 AM, Parlor 3041
Panelists: Gail Z Martin, T. J. Perkins, KT Pinto, Joy Ward; Vonnie Winslow Crist
How are female-centric faith systems portrayed in modern literature? How do historic femalecentric faith systems influence modern literature? Who were Lilith, Inana, Hecate, Astarte, 
Diana, Isis, Kali, Durga and Demeter to the ancients? How are they appearing in today's 
literature?


YA literature: What's hot, what's not? Saturday, 1:00 PM, Salon B 
Moderator: A. L. Davroe; (50 minutes) 
Panelists: Justin R. Macumber, Christine Norris, Jeri Smith-Ready 1 SEAT OPEN
Why is everybody reading it? And why should you care? 
YA literature is making a bigger mark than ever. Let's talk about what young adults are 
reading, why they are reading it, what about it appeals to adults, and what this upsurge in 
young readers might mean for the Science Fiction and Fantasy community.

Broad Universe RFR: Saturday, 4:00 PM, Salon B

 You Were Published WHERE? Saturday, 10:00 PM, Salon B (I may not make this one, it's way past my bedtime)
Moderator: Alex Shvartsman; (50 minutes)
Panelists: Christine Norris , Eric V. Hardenbrook 2 SEATS OPEN
A discussion about new magazines that have come and gone, new zines that seem to have 
staying power, and short-lived publishing houses. 


Standard Submission Guidelines Sunday, 10:00 AM, Salon B
Moderator: Christine Norris (50 minutes)
Panelists: Patrick Thomas, Elektra Hammond, Eric V. Hardenbrook, Brian Koscienski,
What are these anyway? Why are things done a certain way? How come they are different from
publisher to publisher?


From Slush to Sale Sunday, 1:00 PM, Salon B
Moderator: Sarah Pinsker; (50 minutes)
Panelists: Scott H. Andrews, Damien Walters Grintalis, Alex Shvartsman, Christine Norris,
Hildy Silverman
A detailed discussion on every aspect of the process of creating and publishing a professional and
semi-pro magazine. (No idea why I'm on this panel.)


The Dark Quest Books Mega-Launch Sunday, 7:00 PM, Frankie & Vinnies
Publisher: Neal Levin: (2 hours)
Dark Quest Books launches their Spring 2013 titles with guest editors and authors:
Danielle Ackley-McPhail ("The Eternal Cycle"), Danny Birt, Jack Campbell ("The Lost Fleet
series"), Myke Cole, Judi Fleming, Charles E. Gannon, Elektra Hammond, Eric V. Hardenbrook,
C.J. Henderson ("Teddy London"), Mike McPhail), Bernie Mojzes, Christine Norris, KT Pinto,
James Daniel Ross ("Radiation Angels"), Alex Shvartsman, Maria V. Snyder, Jim Stratton,
Patrick Thomas ("Murphy's Lore", Robert E. Waters, and John C. Wright ("Chronicles of Chaos"),
Jeff Young,


I may also be on another panel on Friday night, which was full but that I am supposed to be at anyway, for reasons I can't yet tell you. I am also on an editing and publishing panel, again, but I can't tell you why. The big announcement will come at the con, however, and then I can tell everyone everything.





1 comment:

  1. Being satisfied with the way things are,and striving to make the best of what you've got are a great attitude. I also like to strive for more, but not be too disappointed if it doesn't happen. I figure there's a reason and maybe something better will happen if I don't get in a hurry.

    The conference sounds wonderful. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete