Wednesday, January 28, 2015

DON'T GET IN A HURRY

The title seems to be my life, my writing life anyway.

How long does it usually take you from the start of a new story to finishing to submitting and seeing it published? I realize some work will take longer than others, depending on the length, research, and so on.

I've been fortunate to have two MG stories published in the past four months. It's been a long journey for both of them however. I checked to see just how long and couldn't believe it. The novel published in September, 2014, was started in 2005. That's ten years ago. It was accepted by a publisher in 2007, I believe, and boy was I excited. I filled out all the information, the blurb for jacket cover and other things, and waited. And waited. And waited. And ... the publisher went out of business.

My fault. I should not have waited four years before doing something. But I really liked the publisher. They turned out lovely books. I wouldn't wait like that again. Yeah, right. I put the manuscript away and worked on other stories. Some were published.  I don't know why, but one day I pulled my old story out of the files. I still liked it, so I tried again. And ... it's now published, with a new title. It only took ten years.
4RV Publishing
 
I said I'd never wait that long again, but I did. A different publisher held my MG historical fiction for four years. I finally asked for the contract back. A Family for Leona will be published by 4RV Publishing this year, no date yet. The illustrator is working on the cover now.
 
There's one more. Yeah, I waited. On January 6, 2015, my MG contemporary, I Live in a Doghouse was published by MuseItUp Publishing. The same publisher that had my historical under contract also had this one under contract for four years too. I asked for that one back. And here it is.
I


I have no one to blame but myself. I have learned a lesson though. I need to have more confidence in  my work. It shouldn't lie on a desk or a shelf and be ignored. I won't get in a hurry, but I no longer will wait an unreasonable length of time. My characters get antsy. So do I.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment